Bing Predicts Looks Better in NFL Week 11; Week 12 Preview
After having its worst week ever, Bing Predicts needed at least a decent performance in Week 11. The search engine was able to accomplish just that, predicting 9 of 14 games correct this week. Bing is now 102-58 (63.8%) on the season, just a few games behind where it was this time last year (105-56).
Bing Predicts Week 11 Recap
Week 11 was by no means a great week for Bing, but it was a vast improvement over the 4-10 debacle from Week 10. At 9-5, Week 11 was only the 7th best week for the search engine. This either speaks to the strength of Bing Predicts or to the relative predictability of the NFL, even during a zany season that has seemed far from predictable.
In last week's preview, we looked at several of Bing's biggest predictions for Week 11. Here's how Bing did in those games:
- Correct: After dropping two straight, the Broncos will recover on the road against the surprisingly improving Chicago Bears
- Wrong: The Packers will suffer their fourth consecutive loss at the hands of the Vikings in Minnesota
- Correct: After starting 8-0, the Bengals will lose their second straight game
- Wrong: The struggling Falcons will rebound with a big win against the Colts
- Wrong: The Cowboys will lose in Tony Romo's return
- Correct: The Lions will grab their third win of the season at home against the Raiders
Here's a look at Bing Predicts by the numbers for Week 11:
- 7-4 when favoring the home team (72-42 on the season)
- 2-1 when favoring the away team (30-16 on the season)
- 2-2 when predicted chance under 60% (32-24 on the season)
- 4-3 when predicted chance between 60 and 69.9% (38-22 on the season)
- 3-0 when predicted chance between 70 and 79.9% (27-9 on the season)
- 0-0 when predicted chance over 80% (5-3 on the season)
Overall, Week 11 was a step in the right direction for Bing, but the search engine still has a ways to go to catch up with last year's performance.
Bing Predicts Week 12 Preview
The bye weeks are over, so everyone will be in action from here on out. That means 16 games per week, which might give Bing a chance to catch up to last year (or fall further behind). Here's what Bing says will happen in Week 12:
No surprise here: Bing is siding with the home team in the majority of the games. The search engine favors the home team to win 11 of 16 games this week.
The biggest surprise is how low the predicted chance is for a Panthers win. I realize Tony Romo is back and this is a Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas, but have you seen the Panthers lately? It seems like Bing is underestimating Cam Newton. I'm also surprised to see the Falcons as the favorite over the Vikings. With as bad as the Falcons have been the last four weeks, a Vikings win seems like a safe bet (especially if Devonta Freeman is sidelined with a concussion).
Bing's confidence is pretty low this week, with 14 of 16 games under a 70% chance. Here's the weekly breakdown by predicted chance:
- 8 games with predicted chance under 60%
- 6 games with predicted chance between 60 and 69.9%
- 2 games with predicted chance between 70 and 79.9%
- 0 games with predicted chance over 80%
So how will Bing do in Week 12? Although the search engine needs a big week, this looks like a tough one. Still, Bing should go at least 10-6 this week. Come back next week to see how the search engine did.